Author Topic: Tips for lights upgrading  (Read 2655 times)

Keith

• View Profile
Tips for lights upgrading
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:04:36 AM »
Hello,guys!

I've got a brand new MRT50pro SM in back and green and like its style and mobility very much.
I'm finishing running-in, having rode about 700km for commuting and some short trips.
My ride has been no problem and happy even with stock condition until today.

I'm planning changing light and some electric devices for the start.

I got 35W head light unit of double sided chipboard with CREE LED Modules for each side (Low/High) H4 type.
I also have 55W HID(Xenon) 6000K H4 type for further upgrade in the future.
I tried LED first because it consume less wattage.

LED I got causes polarity problem with continuous flickering with upper-side(high) even when Low mode and no low-beam any time.
Soon I noticed It's distributed with AC 12V from alternator through a regulator and have to change AC  into DC.

So, I got a regulator/rectifier to convert power source from 2 phase AC12V to single phase DC 12V.

I downloaded Wiring diagram from Rieju UK site, and noticed some differences with my 2013-2014 model.

Differences are as follows:

The wiring backside of ignition key cylinder differs much.
The OFF position is not connected to -GROUND (Black wiring) and Blue wiring is killed in the connecting coupler.
the Ignition key ON position makes connection between Yellow(wire distributing +12V) and Red(from regulator +12V)
Illumination position is true making connection of 12V gain (Green/Black line) and lights (Blue/Red line.)

I guessed the electrician who made the diagram was planning on basis of upper class model loaded with battery.

The model with 50cc motor, So-called "battery-less" models needs some check-ups even other model than MRT series.

And to my surprise, I could not find turn signal indicator relay in the head light fairing as location indicated in workshop manual from UK web Site.

I'd be happy if this will help you determine of upgrading electric devices.

I'm also gonna try CREE LED indicator bulb unit to save 18W(90%) of 20W of power consuming at turn signals after rectifier issue. 

Who knows the location of flasher relay in this forum?

Keith

• View Profile
Re: Tips for lights upgrading
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:31:09 AM »
Adding some info to my post.

I found a flasher relay.

It is hidden behind the steering column and not visible before dismounting Gas tank, MRT has a tiny space between welded top tubes and a flasher relay is tied with a plastic strap.

For someone try the same as me, I'd advise you should be careful when you dismount the gas tank. It is likely to drop the collar tube into the flame.
Actually I spent half an hour in frustrating salvation. 

Digressed,
The relay was 2 pole type, not 3 pole type as the official diagram says.

part info in case of replacement:
012Z10
made in spain by Guilera

As I referred it at Guilera's web site, it's not for the Battery-less bike, but for the battery loaded models.

It seems to be easy to load a battery on MRT 50 and regulate  to DC 12V with rectifier.
Therefore, I'm not supposed to make my bike much heavier and don't need too much comfort.

I'm going to convert this relay to LED-oriented relay to save flasher wattage for main light.

Keith

Areartstyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 12:41:51 AM »
Education forum And it was a good topic.

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 05:33:26 AM »
Thanks! :)

Rayindex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:22:25 PM »
What's more interesting to me

fumbles22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 02:42:43 AM »
Thanks.  I have a MRT 125, but I imagine they are similar.

I've upgraded my indicators for led ones and I want to get a flasher relay for them.  They are slightly too fast.

I thought the relay was the big black thing behind the LHS panel.  That might be a fuse though.  The exploded Rieju schematics show that the flasher relay should be behind the front headlight, but there's nothing there.  They should really update them and actually make them accurate.

I bought a 5000K HID, and have it installed without any problems.  It was a simple unplug, then plug in again.  I've also swapped the smaller light underneath for a 50W LED.  I want ot be seen, especially with winter coming up!

fumbles22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 02:43:54 AM »
And to my surprise, I could not find turn signal indicator relay in the head light fairing as location indicated in workshop manual from UK web Site.

I just noticed this in your post too. 

Rieju - Please update the exploded schematics drawing for the MRT pro 125 and MRT pro 50!

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 08:20:57 PM »
Thanks, fumbles22.
I think Rieju might have and would do further updates without notice.

I found this has been a year back entree. I write to update my electro-update on my ride.
I tried some rear section to modify as looks like kind of a racer, changed tail light assebly to thin low-profile one with 12 LED and add some diode to trim backward electlicity for irregular lighting.

And same time, I cut dismantled stock air induction box and replaced KTM duke 125cc sub-frame lower plate to stock one.